Energy Relief Grant
Now more than ever, reducing bills at your business may be essential to staying open. Lower your electricity costs with the help of an Energy Relief Grant.
Designed specifically for Hawai‘i businesses experiencing losses due to the COVID-19 pandemic, grants may cover up to 100% of total project costs (up to $25,000 per application) of an energy efficiency project. The grant award will be disbursed after project completion as a reimbursement after all required documentation has been submitted, verified and approved by Hawai‘i Energy.
SECOND ROUND APPLICATIONS DUE ON NOVEMBER 30, 2020 AT 5:00 P.M. HST.
Am I Eligible?
You are eligible if you meet the following requirements:
- You must be a commercial rate schedule account holder of an electric utility on the island of Hawai‘i, Lana‘i, Maui, Moloka‘i, or O‘ahu where the electricity-saving energy efficiency measure is being installed.
- Your business must fall into ONE of the following categories:
- 501(c)3 nonprofit organization
- Obtained relief funding from one of these programs:
- Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL)
- Paycheck Protection Program (PPP)
- City & County of Honolulu Small Business Relief and Recovery Fund
- Maui County Micro Business Loan
- Hawai‘i County Emergency Resilience Loan
- Small businesses with electric rate Schedule “G”
- Small business with solar PV using less than 25 kW or 5,000 kWh per month
- Small business with less than 5,000 sq. ft. facility
- Multifamily affordable housing property (occupants with up to 100% of Area Median Income)
- Past or current EmPOWER or commercial Strategic Energy Management (SEM) participants
*The following entities are not eligible for the Energy Relief Grant at this time:
- Businesses with a residential (Schedule R) electric utility account
- Businesses on the island of Kaua‘i
- Entities that are completely off the grid
Is My Project Eligible?
Please see our list of commercial equipment types that may be eligible. The following expenses may be eligible:
- New energy efficient equipment that qualifies for a Hawai‘i Energy incentive
- Parts, accessories, and other materials necessary for installation
- Labor for old equipment removal, site preparation, and installation of energy efficiency measure(s)
- Shipping costs for equipment and materials
- Taxes for the above items
The following projects and expenses are ineligible:
- Equipment that does not qualify for a Hawai‘i Energy incentive
- Used equipment
- Items purchased before July 1, 2020
- Administrative Fees
- Electric vehicle charging stations
- Solar photovoltaic (PV) systems or panels
How to Apply
- Choose an energy efficiency improvement project.
- Obtain itemized quotes from a few contractors and select one. Check out our list of Clean Energy Allies!
- Complete and submit the following documents to Eileen.D.Lacaden@leidos.com by November 30, 2020 at 5:00 p.m. HST:
- Energy Relief Grant Application
- Hawai‘i Energy Commercial Incentive Application
- IRS Form W-9
- Itemized quote for the project (provided by your chosen contractor or vendor)
- Proposed equipment specification sheets or submittals (provided by your chosen contractor or vendor)
- For 501(c)(3) nonprofits only: IRS 501(c)(3) Determination Letter
- For businesses qualifying under EIDL, PPP, or county relief grant or loan only: loan or funding approval letter
Other Terms and Conditions
- Hawai‘i Energy reserves the right to accept or reject any and all applications.
- Funding is not guaranteed.
- Applicants may apply for one grant per project.
- Applicants who are ineligible for a grant may participate in Hawai‘i Energy’s other energy efficiency programs.
- Projects that are not approved for an Energy Relief Grant will be directed through the standard business incentive process.