NEWS RELEASE: May 26, 2020
Hawai‘i Energy Announces Increased Rebates For ResidentsThe increased rebates are available for a limited time until June 30, 2020
Honolulu, Hawai‘i – Hawaiʻi Energy announced today that it is now offering increased rebates for residents looking to lower their energy bills by investing in energy-efficient equipment and installations, such as cooling appliances, water heaters, pool pumps and more. The discounted rebates are available for a limited time only, from now until June 30, 2020 or while funds are available.
“While we continue to navigate the impacts of COVID-19, making energy savings accessible and affordable for island families has never been more important than it is today,” said Brian Kealoha, executive director at Hawaiʻi Energy. “On average, Hawai’i residents experience an 18% percent increase in energy usage during the summer months (vs. non summer months) and as we continue to follow the safer-at-home order, it’s expected to jump even higher. For residents considering solar water heating, cooling and other home upgrades, the rebates will help offset the costs of their purchases and installations just in time for Hawaiʻi’s hot summer months.”
Hawaiʻi Energy’s rebates can help Hawai‘i’s residents with up-front costs to invest in energy-efficient equipment and installations. Increased rebates include:
- Solar Water Heater – $1,250 for O‘ahu, $1,500 for neighbor islands Switching from an electric water heater to a solar water heater can save up to 40 percent on electric bills every year.
- Central Air Conditioning Replacement – $1,500 Save up to 30-50 percent more energy than older central air conditioning systems.
- Heat Pump Water Heater – $500 Recommended for households of 3 or less, heat pumps can be 2-3 times more efficient than conventional electric water heaters.
- Mini-Split Air Conditioner with VRF technology – $250 to 350, based on system size A smaller, ductless option with energy-saving variable refrigerant flow technology. Great cooling solution for multiple rooms.
- VFD Pool Pump – $250 Receive a rebate when replacing an inefficient pool pump with a qualifying ENERGY STAR®- certified model, which will also save up to $125 annually.
- Whole House Fans – $150 Use less energy by drawing in cooler, outside air through a whole house fan.
- Window AC Offers – Get a $50 rebate towards a qualifying ENERGY STAR®-certified window air conditioner OR trade-in your old window AC unit and get $100 towards the purchase of an ENERGY STAR® -certified unit.
Rebates are available to residential electric utility ratepayers on Hawaiʻi Island, Lāna‘i, Maui, Moloka‘i and O‘ahu only. They are available on a first-come, first-served basis and are subject to availability of funds. Kaua‘i residents are serviced by a utility cooperative and therefore not eligible for Hawai‘i Energy rebates.
For more information or for a full list of rebates, visit Hawai‘i Energy’s website at hawaiienergy.com/rebates. Hawai‘i Energy also has a network of energy smart contractors to help you with these installations at hawaiienergy.com/find-a-contractor.
About Hawai‘i Energy
Hawai‘i Energy helps island families and businesses make smart energy choices. We encourage and reward energy decisions that will allow our state to reach 100% clean energy faster and cheaper. To date, we have saved the people of Hawai‘i more than a billion dollars off their energy bills. Let Hawai‘i Energy be your trusted energy advisor to help save you money and protect what makes Hawai‘i so special. For more information, please visit hawaiienergy.com/about.
Media Contact:Jaclyn Saito
Public Relations & Event Specialist