High energy prices, perhaps now more than ever, mean reducing your electricity costs could be crucial to keeping your small business or nonprofit open here in Hawaii. An EmPOWER grant could help with just that as you continue to navigate the challenges of today’s economy.
All grant applications will be competitively reviewed. Submitting a grant application does not guarantee being awarded a grant.
Any grant awards will be disbursed after project completion as a reimbursement once all required documentation has been submitted, verified and approved by Hawaii Energy.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: SEPTEMBER 29, 2023
- You must be a commercial rate schedule account holder of an electric utility on the island of Hawaii, Lanai, Maui, Molokai, or Oahu where the electricity-saving energy efficiency measure is being installed.
Your business must fall into ONE of the following categories:
- 501(c)3 nonprofit organization
- Small businesses with electric rate Schedule “G”
- Small business with less than 5,000 sq. ft. facility
*The following entities are not eligible for the EmPOWER Grant at this time:
- Businesses with a residential (Schedule R) electric utility account – this includes home-based businesses
- Businesses on the island of Kauai
- Entities that are completely off the grid
Click here to view a complete list* of eligible project & equipment types and associated potential grant caps.
- The following expenses may be eligible:
- New energy efficient equipment that qualifies for a Hawaii Energy incentive
- Parts, accessories, and other materials necessary for installation
- Labor for old equipment removal, site preparation, and installation of energy efficiency measure(s)
- Shipping costs for equipment and materials
- Taxes for the above items
- The following projects and expenses are ineligible:
- Equipment that does not qualify for a Hawaii Energy incentive
- Used equipment
- Items purchased before August 1, 2023
- Administrative Fees
- Electric vehicle charging stations
- Solar photovoltaic (PV) systems or panels
- Choose an energy efficiency improvement project.
- Obtain itemized quotes from a few Clean Energy Ally (CEA) contractors and select one. Note: For an application to be eligible, the contractor MUST be a current CEA with Hawaii Energy. Check out our list of Clean Energy Allies!
- Complete and submit the following documents to Chester Carson at HE-Grants@Leidos.com by September 29, 2023 at 11:59p.m. HST:
- EmPOWER Grant Application
- Hawaii Energy Commercial Incentive Application
- IRS Form W-9
- Itemized quote for the project (provided by your chosen contractor or vendor)
- Proposed equipment specification sheets or submittals (provided by your chosen contractor or vendor)
- For 501(c)(3) nonprofits only: IRS 501(c)(3) Determination Letter
Contact Chester Carson at HE-Grants@Leidos.com
* If you are an eligible EmPOWER Grant applicant exploring a significant energy-energy efficiency project at your facility that does not immediately fall within the grant program parameters, please email us.