Do you have ideas for other technologies that will save energy?
You can design your own energy efficiency project. Custom rebates are based on projected energy savings for new construction or retrofit projects. Projects are evaluated on a case-by-case basis and must be pre-approved by Hawaii Energy before equipment purchase. Please refer to the corresponding worksheets for more information on requirements and contact your Energy Advisor to get your project pre-approved for a customized project rebate.
Custom Program Rules
- In order to ensure the best chances of qualifying for an incentive, Hawaii Energy requires that you contact our program for preliminary approval prior to the start of any work. Otherwise, the project is at significant risk of being disqualified. Projects are handled on a case-by-case basis and may require documentation before and after implementation (e.g. pre- and post-data, pre-inspection, etc.)
- Incentives may not exceed 50% of project costs.
- The simple payback must be greater than one year.
- Incentives are based on projected energy and peak demand savings for both new construction and retrofit projects:
- Rules are subject to change without notice at Hawaii Energy’s discretion. Please visit this page for the most up-to-date requirements.
Custom Project Requirements
Project requirements vary on a case-by-case basis. Please consult with an Energy Advisor and apply for pre-approval before purchasing any equipment. Typical project requirements may include but not limited to the following:
Pre-installation and post-installation metering*
- 15-minute interval data. May require higher frequency of data logging depending on equipment type.
- Data must be time-stamped (mm/dd/yy hh:mm)
- Power measurements are required (kW)
- Depending on the system, additional data points may be required such as tons of cooling, flow, temperature etc.
- At least four weeks of data on existing equipment and four weeks of data on new equipment
- Submission of raw data
Data analysis and engineering calculations
- Provide energy savings and peak demand savings values based on metered data or engineering calculations
- Provide a document showing the engineering calculations and stating any assumptions and key information about the project
- Standard engineering principles must be applied and all references cited
- Proposed base and enhanced calculations must be performed by a qualified person or firm. In some cases, a professional engineer may be required to provide verification of the analysis
Note: For new construction, “pre” or “base case” is typically interpreted as commonly available new equipment at a lower efficiency option or code requirements, whichever is higher.
*Energy savings analysis from metered data will be normalized to weather, flow, or other data to extrapolate energy savings over time.
Apply for Pre-approval
Reach out to an Energy Advisor or email us at HawaiiEnergy@leidos.com to discuss your customized project that will save you energy. Any preliminary project information such as equipment specifications, baseline equipment name plate information, drawings, or other data is helpful in guiding the discussion and project requirements.