As Oahu prepares for the eventual retirement of our coal power plant in the coming years, it is increasingly important to not only reduce overall energy consumption, but to manage when we use the energy we need. Our Power Move family of rebates is designed to reward local businesses for taking steps to reduce energy load during utility peak hours of 5:00 to 9:00 p.m. These collective demand savings will help move our state closer to achieving our clean energy goals.
Demand Savings Bonus
The Demand Savings Bonus awards Oahu businesses for facility upgrades that reduce energy demand (kW) during utility peak periods. This is a limited-time offer and projects must be pre-approved to receive the following custom rebate levels:
- $0.12 per kWh saved and
- $400.00 per kW saved during utility peak hours (standard rate is $125 per kW)
Maximum rebate is capped at 50% of project costs and subject to availability of funds.
These rebate bonus levels are subject to funding availability and are first come, first served. Projects receiving this bonus will see an estimated 20% higher rebate, on average, compared to the standard Hawaii Energy custom rebate rates. Maximizing utility peak demand savings will maximize the potential total rebate.
- Download the Rules & Requirements to make sure your project is eligible.
- Prepare the items on the Pre-Approval Checklist on the second page of the Rules & Requirements.
- Submit the pre-approval request by email to the appropriate Energy Advisor or HawaiiEnergy@leidos.com no later than March 30, 2022.
This offer is open for applications from November 1, 2021 through March 30, 2022 or while funding lasts.
A custom rebate project for an eligible commercial facility on Oahu may be eligible for the Power Move Demand Savings Bonus by meeting all of the following requirements:
- The project is pre-approved by Hawaii Energy through a formal Rebate Commitment Letter.
- The project is a retrofit. New construction is not eligible.
- The equipment is not yet installed and the customer has not applied for a rebate as of November 1, 2021.
- The equipment must be installed by June 30, 2023.
Please refer to the Rules & Requirements for full eligibility details.
How much higher will the rebate be with this bonus?
On average, this rebate bonus translates to a 20% higher rebate above the standard custom rebate rates. Projects that have significant peak demand savings will yield higher rebates.
Would there be any reason a project would not be pre-approved for this offer?
There are a number of reasons why a project would not be given pre-approval for this offer including but not limited to the following:
- The project was already installed as of November 1, 2021.
- A rebate application was already submitted for the project prior to November 1, 2021.
- The project does not qualify for a custom rebate from Hawaii Energy.
- The project does not have peak demand savings.
If my custom project does not receive pre-approval for this offer, can I still get a rebate?
If the project is qualifies for a rebate, you can still apply under the standard custom rebate process.
What if I receive pre-approval/a Rebate Commitment Letter and my project gets delayed?
If your project is delayed beyond the expiration date on the Rebate Commitment Letter, you may request to renew pre-approval by providing sufficient evidence that the project is underway and will be completed by June 30, 2023. Otherwise, the pre-approval/Rebate Commitment Letter and access to the Demand Savings Bonus offer will expire.
COMING SOON: COMMERCIAL BATTERY STORAGE REBATE PILOT
Contact your Energy Advisor or Eileen Lacaden at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are planning to install commercial battery storage in the next 18 months.