Switching out your old appliances to ENERGY STAR® certified models will help you save energy and reduce your monthly electric bills.
Refrigerator Trade-Up $150 REBATE
An old refrigerator uses about twice as much energy as a new ENERGY STAR® certified refrigerator.
For a limited time, receive a $150 rebate* when you purchase a qualifying ENERGY STAR® certified refrigerator from a participating retailer. Rebate requires that you have a working refrigerator (14 cu. ft or larger) to trade in. The participating retailer will haul it away when they deliver your new model. We make sure it’s recycled properly, this is a requirement of the program.
How to get started
- Step 1: Purchase a new ENERGY STAR® certified refrigerator (greater than 16 cu. ft.) from a participating retailer below.
- Step 2: The retailer will schedule pick up of your old, working refrigerator.
- Step 3: Obtain the application: from the retailer, download a printable copy or apply online. Complete the application. Have the hauler stamp your printed copy upon picking up your old working unit. For online applications please upload a copy of your receipt showing the haul away on it.
- Step 4: Submit within sixty (60) days of purchase the completed rebate application along with the receipt/invoice showing the make and model of the appliance and proof of the haul away. By mail send to: Hawaii Energy, P.O. Box 3920, Honolulu, HI 96812. OR if you applied online you must upload/scan the receipt. Please allow 6-8 weeks for the processing from the received date.
*The Rid-A-Fridge and Trade-Up offer may not be combined. Trade-Up applications are available on a first-come, first-served basis with approved retailers during point of purchase, to ensure proper recycling. Rebate is subject to change without notice.
Participating retailers by island:
- Lanai: Island Appliance
- Maui: Hamai Appliance, Home Depot, Lowes and Sears
- Oahu: Best Buy (all locations), Disco Mart, Discount Mutual, Home Depot (all locations), Lowes (all locations), Midtown Radio, Navy Exchange, Newtown Appliances, OK TV & Appliance (all locations), Pacific Appliance Group, Sears (all locations), Sears Outlet, Servco Home and Appliance Distribution, The Discount Store and Wada's Appliance
- Hawaii: Sears (Hilo), Lowe's (Kona), Home Depot, Hakoda's Builders Appliance (Kona)
Refrigerator/Freezer "Rid-A-Fridge" Offer $75 REBATE
By keeping a second refrigerator in your basement or garage, you could be wasting as much as $125 per year. Let us recycle that old working refrigerator/freezer for FREE and pay you! Residents of Hawaii island, Maui County and Oahu will receive $75 for each one. Find out how to participate by clicking on the button link below.
Heat Pump Water Heater $300 REBATE
An option for reducing your energy cost is to consider installing an ENERGY STAR® certified heat pump water heater for your home. Get a $300 rebate towards your purchase today.
Steps to participate:
- Step 1: Find a participating contractor online at HawaiiEnergy.com/find-a-contractor or call us toll free 877-231-8222.
- Step 2: Schedule the installation with the participating contractor.
- Step 3: Upon completion of the installation the rebate will be deducted from your invoice.
- Step 4: Once you have paid the invoice, the participating contractor will complete your application and submit to Hawaii Energy within 60 days of the project completion.
Washers & Dryers
You can save loads of money and energy by upgrading to an energy efficient washer and dryer. Purchase an ENERGY STAR® certified washer and/or dryer for cutting edge technology along with the highest energy efficiency savings possible. Look for our in-store signs at local retailers for the models with the best values.
Washing dishes in a new ENERGY STAR® certified dishwasher rather than hand washing can cut your utility bills by about $40 per year. It can use less than half as much energy and saves more than 5,000 gallons of water each year. Look for our in-store signs at local retailers for the models with the best values.